by Kylie Kwong (Lantern, penguin group, 2007)
I am a huge fan of Kylie Kwong's and all her books are gorgeous and inspirational. She brings an Australian lightness to the often feared arena of Chinese cooking and her recipes are invitingly accessible. These caramelised tomatoes with ginger and vinegar are a case in point....
Caramelised Tomatoes with Ginger and Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 375g (12 oz) grape or cherry tomatoes
- 5 cm (2 in) piece ginger, finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons shao hsing wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Heat oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Add tomatoes and stir-fry for 2 minutes to 'blister'. Add ginger and chilli and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add shao hsing wine and stir-fry for 1 minute until slightly caramelised.
- Lastly, add vinegar and soy sauce and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds. Serve immediately.
Posted by Nigella on the 29th Feb 2012