Log in Register

Follow Nigella on: Facebook Twitter Vimeo Pinterest Instagram

Kitchen Queries

Welcome to Kitchen Queries, where the nigella.com team will answer your cooking or food related questions.  We’d love you to submit some of your recipe problems, dilemmas or queries for us to get our teeth into!

Submit your query

Please note, we are only able to answer questions selected for publication and aren't able to enter into personal correspondence.

Latest Queries

  • Double Cream Equivalent

    Hi there, I am in NZ and am wondering what you would use as double cream in the likes of the Key Lime Pie? I used thickened cream last time but would you just use our normal pouring cream that is whipped? Thanks

    From the nigella team:

    The main thing to look for when you buy your cream is the fat content. UK double cream is around 48% butterfat. New Zealand thickened cream goes through a process where thickening agents (such as gelatine) are added but the cream itself can have a fat content as low as 18% and as high as 32%, so you would need to check the label before buying.

    We understand that pure cream in Australia and New Zealand is usually around 35% butterfat and this would be the best substitute. It is the type of cream that is pourable when you buy it and will whip. You do not need to whip the cream for a recipe, unless the recipe method specifcally tells you to.

Need some help in the kitchen?

Ask Nigella

Submit your query


Remember you can use the search bar to delve through our Kitchen Queries archives.