Log in Register

Follow Nigella on: Facebook Twitter Vimeo Pinterest Instagram

Kitchen Queries

Welcome to Kitchen Queries, where the nigella.com team will answer your cooking or food related questions.  We’d love you to submit some of your recipe problems, dilemmas or queries for us to get our teeth into!

Submit your query

Please note, we are only able to answer questions selected for publication and aren't able to enter into personal correspondence.

Latest Queries

  • Potato Ricer

    Hi Team Nigella, I just wondered which potato ricer Nigella uses?

    From the nigella team:

    A potato ricer is a piece of kitchen equipment that looks a bit like a large garlic press but you push boiled potatoes through it to get perfect, lump-free mashed potatoes. You also don't necessarily need to peel the potatoes before boiling them, as the skins will be left behind in the ricer whilst the cooked potato part is pushed through.

    The ricer used by Nigella came from the US, but the closest equivalent we have been able to find in the UK is the Kitchen Craft Masterclass Stainless Steel Potato Ricer. It is available from several sources on-line, including Amazon. There are also other models of potato ricer available, but make sure that it feels robust.

    Another alternative is to use a mouli food mill (nit a grater) which will give a similar texture to the potatoes if you put them through the mouli. A mouli also has other uses, such as pureeing cooked fruits and vegetables.

Need some help in the kitchen?

Ask Nigella

Submit your query


Remember you can use the search bar to delve through our Kitchen Queries archives.