Welcome to this Delicious Red Velvet Cake Recipe! This classic dessert has a soft, moist texture and a rich, velvety flavor that will have you coming back for seconds. The vibrant red color comes from a combination of cocoa powder and red food coloring, which gives the cake its iconic appearance. Topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting, this cake is the perfect treat for any occasion. So let's get baking!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup soft butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food colouring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
Please note that nigella.com is not able to accept responsibility for any substitutions that Ocado may need to make as a result of stock availability or otherwise. For any queries, head to ocado.com/customercare.
Feel free to use the “swap” feature and adjust brands and quantities as needed.
Delicious Red Velvet Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting is a community recipe submitted by IsabellaCharlotte and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, food coloring, and vanilla extract.
- In another separate bowl, sift together the flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are cool, you can frost them with your favorite frosting. Cream cheese frosting is a classic pairing for red velvet cake.