Log in Register

Follow Nigella on: Facebook Twitter Vimeo Pinterest Instagram

Kitchen Queries

Welcome to Kitchen Queries, where the nigella.com team will answer your cooking or food related questions.  We’d love you to submit some of your recipe problems, dilemmas or queries for us to get our teeth into!

Submit your query

Please note, we are only able to answer questions selected for publication and aren't able to enter into personal correspondence.

Latest Queries

  • Pasta Straining Spoon

    Hello, I am new here and very happy to be invited in. I have seen Nigella use a big pasta straining spoon in many of her programmes. It is stainless steel and flat. I would like to know where I could purchase one? Thanks in anticipation, Monica

    From the nigella team:

    We suspect that the spoon you are referring to is a stainless steel spoon called a skimming spoon. These spoons tend to be flat and round and have holes or slots in them to allow liquid to drain away. You can buy stainless steel versions and also models made from silicone, rubber and other materials. You can buy these spoons in most cookware shops and also on-line.

    There is a chance that you are thinking of a type of skimming spoon called a "spider". It gets its name from the fact that it looks a little like a spider's web. The spoon is more often used for lifting deep fried foods from hot oil. They originate from China and you should be able to find them in Asian food stores and on-line. However as they are now quite popular you may also find one in larger kitchenware shops.

Need some help in the kitchen?

Ask Nigella

Submit your query


Remember you can use the search bar to delve through our Kitchen Queries archives.