Log in Register

Follow Nigella on: Facebook Twitter Vimeo Pinterest Instagram

Kitchen Queries

Welcome to Kitchen Queries, where the nigella.com team will answer your cooking or food related questions.  We’d love you to submit some of your recipe problems, dilemmas or queries for us to get our teeth into!

Submit your query

Please note, we are only able to answer questions selected for publication and aren't able to enter into personal correspondence.

Latest Queries

  • Treacle Pudding Or Cake

    My "extra" Mom ( Mummy-sha) was British. She used to make Treacle Pudding with Lyle`s Golden Syrup. Do you have any recipes? Thank you! Kathy Dyer

    From the nigella team:

    The British Pudding called Treacle Sponge is made with golden syrup, which is a light form of sugar syrup, rather than the darker treacle or molasses. It is usually a sponge pudding cake which is steamed rather than baked. Some syrup is put in the bottom of the bowl, before the cake batter is added, so that this enrobes the cooked sponge as it is un-mouded from the bowl and it is served with extra syrup.

    Nigella does have a recipe for this very traditional pudding, she calls it Steamed Syrup Sponge. We regret that it is not currently available on the website but it can be found in Nigella's book Domestic Goddess on p132. If you are buying golden syrup specially then you may also like to try another traditional pudding called Treacle Tart, made from golden syrup and breadcrumbs. Nigella has a recipe for Treacle Tart in How To Eat (p294) and a cut-and-come-again version called Treacle Slice in Kitchen (p301).

Need some help in the kitchen?

Ask Nigella

Submit your query


Remember you can use the search bar to delve through our Kitchen Queries archives.