Log in Register

Follow Nigella on: Facebook Twitter Vimeo Pinterest Instagram

Kitchen Queries

Welcome to Kitchen Queries, where the nigella.com team will answer your cooking or food related questions.  We’d love you to submit some of your recipe problems, dilemmas or queries for us to get our teeth into!

Submit your query

Please note, we are only able to answer questions selected for publication and aren't able to enter into personal correspondence.

Latest Queries

  • Edible Gold Stars, Bobbles and Glitter

    Hello, I am planning on surprising my family with the Chocolate Xmas Cake from Christmas (p180). I want to make the top of my cake as pretty as Nigella's. I live in the US and can't seem to find the same decorations as she has. Do you know where I can get the same ones as her? Any information would be great. 

    From the nigella team:

    The decorations on the top of the Chocolate Christmas Cake in Christmas (photo p181) include gold dragees, gold edible glitter and gold stars. Some of the supplies can be bought on-line. However in the US dragees are slightly difficult as the FDA do not approve them for consumption so you can only use them for decoration (please remove them before eating the cake) and you cannot buy them in, or have them shipped to, the state of California. You can find gold dragees on-line at NY Cake (see link below). The edible glitter (also known as disco dust) can be bought from NY Cake and also from Fancy Flours (link below).

    The stars are pretty difficult to find in the US but it is possible to make your own. You will need to buy some rolled fondant icing (in the UK this is ready to roll icing), roll it out thinly and cut out stars with a small cookie cutter. Then you need to make up some edible gold paint by mixing some gold luster powder (available from the suppliers above) with a clear alcohol (for example vodka). Paint the stars with the gold paint and set them on a wire rack. Let them dry for a couple of days before using.

    For the chocolate decorations we would suggest trying your local candy store for some chocolate coated peanuts or chocolate balls.



    In the UK most of the decorations can be bought from Jane Asher and Squires Kitchen:



Need some help in the kitchen?

Ask Nigella

Submit your query


Remember you can use the search bar to delve through our Kitchen Queries archives.