Log in Register

Follow Nigella on: Facebook Twitter Vimeo Pinterest Instagram

Kitchen Queries

Welcome to Kitchen Queries, where the nigella.com team will answer your cooking or food related questions.  We’d love you to submit some of your recipe problems, dilemmas or queries for us to get our teeth into!

Submit your query

Please note, we are only able to answer questions selected for publication and aren't able to enter into personal correspondence.

Latest Queries

  • Tea and Biscuits?

    I'll be hosting a Brit who likes rich black English tea. What biscuit/cake would you recommend to serve with that kind of tea considering that this person doesn't really have a sweet tooth?

    From the nigella team:

    The Rich Tea biscuit is possibly the most iconic accompaniment to a cup of tea in the UK. It is a plain, not too sweet biscuit that was originally created as a snack between meals in the early 1600's and has been a part of British cuisine ever since. This biscuit is similar in texture and taste to Animal Crackers in the US.

    The Rich Tea is usually "dunked" in the cup or mug of tea and as it is a dry, crisp biscuit it will absorb a fair amount of liquid when immersed. However it also softens very quickly so don't dunk for too long and never double dunk as it will disintegrate into the tea.

    There is also a similar biscuit called Morning Coffee, which tends to be rectangular rather than round.

    If you live in the US then Mc Vitie's brand Rich Tea biscuits can be bought on-line from one of the British food suppliers (we have given an example below). Otherwise we suggest trying the internet for a local on-line source.


Need some help in the kitchen?

Ask Nigella

Submit your query


Remember you can use the search bar to delve through our Kitchen Queries archives.