Log in Register

Follow Nigella on: Facebook Twitter Vimeo Pinterest Instagram

Kitchen Queries

Welcome to Kitchen Queries, where the nigella.com team will answer your cooking or food related questions.  We’d love you to submit some of your recipe problems, dilemmas or queries for us to get our teeth into!

Submit your query

Please note, we are only able to answer questions selected for publication and aren't able to enter into personal correspondence.

Latest Queries

  • Wax Paper

    I have been looking into buttercream transfers for cake decoration and everywhere seems to suggest using wax paper. Where can I find wax paper here in the UK? I presume it is not the same as greaseproof paper or baking parchment. I cannot find wax paper in any UK supermarket. Please help!

    From the nigella team:

    Buttercream transfers are a cake decorating method which is popular in the US where wax paper is readily available in many supermarkets. A picture or decoration is piped (in reverse) on to a piece of wax paper and frozen until solid. The decoration is then flipped on to the top of the iced cake and the paper is peeled away, leaving the decoration on top of the cake. 

    Wax paper is also used in the US for lining some cake tins to stop cakes sticking, though baking parchment (parchment paper) is becoming increasingly popular. We have not tried this technique but would think that for the UK baking parchment or greaseproof paper should work for buttercream transfers. However we would suggest giving it a trial run first. Some baking parchment in the UK is made with unbleached paper which may be tricky to use if you are tracing a design on to the underside of the paper or laying the paper on a picture to use as a template for the design. If this is the case then we suggest using a clear baking parchment such as the one sold by Lakeland (see link below). Otherwise you may be able to find sheets of wax paper in craft stores or on-line - try The Craft Barn's website (see link below).




Need some help in the kitchen?

Ask Nigella

Submit your query

Remember you can use the search bar to delve through our Kitchen Queries archives.