youtube pinterest twitter facebook instagram vimeo Bookmark Entries BURGER NEW Chevron Down Chevron Left Chevron Right Basket Speech Comment Search Video Play Icon Premium Nigella Lawson Vegan Vegetarian Member Speech Recipe Bookmark Comment Camera Scales Quantity List Reorder Remove Open book
Menu Signed In
More answers

Used by Nigella - Metal Scoops and Pastry Blender

Asked by nadjasm. Answered on 18th February 2011

Full question

i've seen in nigella's ep's were shes using a tool to rub flour into butter, looks like a D shape... What is it called?

Hi, I love the oval metal scoops Nigella has used on the last series. I have searched everywhere and am having no luck in being able to find anything like the one Nigella uses. Please help me and advise where I may be able to purchase one. Nigella is an inspiration and once again we have eaten yet another recipe, this one from the iphone app, which has been delicious. I just also made some cereal bars out of Nigella express - they are just cooling as I write this. Thank you Michelle

Our answer

The tool used by Nigella when making pastry is called a "pastry blender". It is used to cut the fat into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs and are popular in the US. In the UK we would traditionally "rub in" the fat by hand but a pastry blender is very useful if you have warm hands which can soften the fat too much. In the US you can buy pastry blenders in many cookware stores and larger supermarket or grocery stores. In the UK you can buy them on-line at:

The oval metal measuring cups used by Nigella in Kitchen were her own and were made by All-Clad in the US. Unfortunately All-Clad have discontinued this product and we have so far been unable to find a similar product. However we will continue to watch for anything that may be a close comparison.

Tell us what you think