youtube pinterest twitter facebook instagram vimeo Bookmark Entries BURGER NEW Chevron Down Chevron Left Chevron Right Basket Speech Comment Search Video Play Icon Premium Nigella Lawson Vegan Vegetarian Member Speech Recipe Bookmark Comment Camera Scales Quantity List Reorder Remove Open book
Menu Signed In
More answers

Wax Paper

Asked by jemmap. Answered on 18th April 2011

Full question

I have been looking into buttercream transfers for cake decoration and everywhere seems to suggest using wax paper. Where can I find wax paper here in the UK? I presume it is not the same as greaseproof paper or baking parchment. I cannot find wax paper in any UK supermarket. Please help!

Our answer

Buttercream transfers are a cake decorating method which is popular in the US where wax paper is readily available in many supermarkets. A picture or decoration is piped (in reverse) on to a piece of wax paper and frozen until solid. The decoration is then flipped on to the top of the iced cake and the paper is peeled away, leaving the decoration on top of the cake.

Wax paper is also used in the US for lining some cake tins to stop cakes sticking, though baking parchment (parchment paper) is becoming increasingly popular. We have not tried this technique but would think that for the UK baking parchment or greaseproof paper should work for buttercream transfers. However we would suggest giving it a trial run first. Some baking parchment in the UK is made with unbleached paper which may be tricky to use if you are tracing a design on to the underside of the paper or laying the paper on a picture to use as a template for the design. If this is the case then we suggest using a clear baking parchment such as the one sold by Lakeland (see link below). Otherwise you may be able to find sheets of wax paper in craft stores or on-line - try The Craft Barn's website (see link below).;jsessionid=30CB55295E16732DFD1A535D5914D12F.app1

Tell us what you think