A supervisor at my local Morrisonâ€™s store, in Oxted, gave this recipe to me. This is very quick and easy to make, and produces a very successful cake, but will not keep long in the tin. This is because the cake is very moreish; it does not last long when folk come to visit me. Much easier, for me at least, than the trad â€˜viccyâ€™ sponge cake.
For the Cake
- 4 ounces self-raising flour
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 4 ounces margarine (or soft butter)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- jam (raspberry or strawberry)
For the Butter Cream Icing
- 3 ounces butter (at room temperature)
- 3 ounces confectioners' sugar
Jo's Throw It All Together Sponge Cake is a community recipe submitted by burnt fingers and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Butter cream icing: