Like Nigella's Chocolate, Chilli, Cinammon Pudding in Feast, this is a dessert that comes with a ready-made sauce. But this is more of an upside down cake than a pudding. You'll see.
For the Cake
- 4 tablespoons sifted unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup walnut pieces (or pecans)
For the Sauce/Topping
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup soft dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 cups water
Maida Heatter's Kansas City Chocolate Dream Cake is a community recipe submitted by gastrohoover and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
I've served it with banana or vanilla or strawberry ice cream. It feeds a dinner party of ten or twelve. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge and reheated in the microwave, but it cannot be frozen. Variation: I served this to an American couple who recognized it instantly. Her variation was to add a cup of chopped dark chocolate or chocolate buttons to the cake batter, for extra choc. His variation was to grate the rind of a whole orange into the cake batter and then add a slug of Grand Marnier to the sauce.