Like Nigella's Chocolate, Chilli, Cinammon Pudding in Feast, this is a dessert that comes with a ready-made sauce. But this is more of an upside down cake than a pudding. You'll see.
For the Cake
- 4 tablespoons sifted unsweetened cocoa
- 500 millilitres sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 375 millilitres granulated sugar
- 375 millilitres milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 57 grams melted unsalted butter
- 250 millilitres walnut pieces (or pecans)
For the Sauce/Topping
- 165 millilitres granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 250 millilitres soft dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 500 millilitres water
Maida Heatter's Kansas City Chocolate Dream Cake is a community recipe submitted by gastrohoover and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
I've served it with banana or vanilla or strawberry ice cream. It feeds a dinner party of ten or twelve. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge and reheated in the microwave, but it cannot be frozen. Variation: I served this to an American couple who recognized it instantly. Her variation was to add a cup of chopped dark chocolate or chocolate buttons to the cake batter, for extra choc. His variation was to grate the rind of a whole orange into the cake batter and then add a slug of Grand Marnier to the sauce.