I worked as a waitress at an Indian restaurant one summer and this recipe is by far the most precious thing I gained from the experience.
The ice-cream is velvety smooth and the unique flavour combination invariably makes it a talking point at the dinner table.
- 600 millilitres double cream
- 6 eggs
- 225 grams sugar
- 100 grams chopped pistachios
- 1 pinch of saffron strands
Please note that nigella.com is not able to accept responsibility for any substitutions that Ocado may need to make as a result of stock availability or otherwise. For any queries, head to ocado.com/customercare.
Feel free to use the “swap” feature and adjust brands and quantities as needed.
Saffron and Pistachio No-churn Ice-cream is a community recipe submitted by YanaS and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Place the yolks and the saffron in a heatproof bowl over a bain-marie and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens. Take the bowl off the heat and leave to cool (This takes about 5min and is the trickiest part of the recipe. It's really easy to overcook the yolks, so pay close attentio).
- Beat the egg whites and the sugar until they form stiff peaks.
- In a very large bowl, whip the cream until thick and mix the egg yolks in it.
- Fold the egg whites into the cream.
- Mix in the chopped pistachios.
- Freeze for a few hours or overnight.