These bars are quite rich, but delicious!
For the Bottom Layer
- 125 butter
- 63 granulated sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 63 unsweetened cocoa
- 500 graham crackers (crumbs)
- 250 coconut
- 125 chopped nuts
For the Middle Layer
- 63 butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding
- 500 sieved confectioners' sugar
For the Top Layer
- 113 semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
Nanaimo Bars is a community recipe submitted by SeattleDiane and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
For bottom layer
- Mix first 4 ingredients together in a double boiler, and stir until butter is melted and mixture resembles a custard.
- Combine crumbs, coconut and nuts and blend well with chocolate mixture.
- Spread and press tightly into ungreased 9x9" pan.
For middle layer
- Cream butter, milk, pudding powder and confectioners' sugar.
- Spread over bottom layer. I find that dipping a knife in hot water makes it easier to spread.
For top layer
- Melt chocolate with butter.
- Spread over icing. My tip: Let it sit until the chocolate layer is no longer shiny, then with the tip of knife, score the chocolate into serving size squares. When the chocolate hardens, it won't crack when you cut into it.
- Refrigerate. When ready to serve, cut into squares.