youtube pinterest twitter facebook instagram vimeo Bookmark Entries BURGER NEW Chevron Down Chevron Left Chevron Right Basket Speech Comment Search Video Play Icon Premium Nigella Lawson Vegan Vegetarian Member Speech Recipe Bookmark Comment Camera Scales Quantity List Reorder Remove Open book
Menu Signed In
More answers

Large Cake Pans

Asked by KJW. Answered on 9th April 2013

Full question

Where can I purchase a 10 inch round cake pan that is 4 inches deep and not springform? Any shop anywhere in the world will be fine. Health and Happiness! Karla Walter

Our answer

Springform pans are the most common type of deep cake pan but in the UK you can also buy loose-bottomed cake pans which are 25cm/10 inches in diameter and about 10cm/4 inches deep. These tend to be used mostly for larger Christmas or rich fruit cakes as cakes of this size tend to take a long time to cook and sponge cakes often start to burn at the edges before the centre is cooked.

In the UK Jane Asher sells a 25cm/10-inch round fixed bottom cake pan that is made from heavy duty tin, however this tin is only 9cm/3 1/2 inches deep. Jane Asher's website also offers wordwide delivery. For deep loose-bottomed pans we suggest that you try Lakeland who sell a "My Kitchen cook and bake" loose bottomed pan in this size. Lakeland can deliver in the UK and also internationally.

We have not noted any particular difference in the performance of loose-bottomed pans vs. springform pans. If you are making a cheesecake or a cake with a very liquid batter then you can tightly wrap the outside and base of a springform or loose-bottomed pan with a double layer of clingfilm (plastic wrap) and a double layer of foil. This will help to keep any batter in the tin, and prevent water seeping in if the cake is being cooked in a bain marie.

Tell us what you think