youtube pinterest twitter facebook instagram vimeo whatsapp Bookmark Entries BURGER NEW Chevron Down Chevron Left Chevron Right Basket Speech Comment Search Video Play Icon Premium Nigella Lawson Vegan Vegetarian Member Speech Recipe Email Bookmark Comment Camera Scales Quantity List Reorder Remove Open book
Menu Signed In
More answers

Pasta Straining Spoon

Asked by jessrae. Answered on 25th June 2014

Full question

Hello, I am new here and very happy to be invited in. I have seen Nigella use a big pasta straining spoon in many of her programmes. It is stainless steel and flat. I would like to know where I could purchase one? Thanks in anticipation, Monica

Our answer

We suspect that the spoon you are referring to is a stainless steel spoon called a skimming spoon. These spoons tend to be flat and round and have holes or slots in them to allow liquid to drain away. You can buy stainless steel versions and also models made from silicone, rubber and other materials. You can buy these spoons in most cookware shops and also on-line.

There is a chance that you are thinking of a type of skimming spoon called a "spider". It gets its name from the fact that it looks a little like a spider's web. The spoon is more often used for lifting deep fried foods from hot oil. They originate from China and you should be able to find them in Asian food stores and on-line. However as they are now quite popular you may also find one in larger kitchenware shops.

My Favourite Potato Salad

Tell us what you think