- When you register on nigella.com, we ask you for your email address, your full name and a username. This information will be used by nigella.com to:
i. Administer your membership and any prize draws or competitions you may enter.
ii. Upload any contributions you make to the website, such as recipes, comments, Cookalong and other competition entries, and queries to the Ask nigella.com section.
iii. Your contributions will be linked to your username, and your username will be visible on the website to everyone. Please make sure you are happy with the username you have chosen, and that it does not reveal personal information about you.
- You can edit your account details and update your preferences at any time by signing in to your account, clicking on the green person icon in the top right corner of the website, and clicking on “Your Account”. You can then amend your details, your newsletter preferences, to control which emails you would like to receive from us. You can also unsubscribe from the newsletters at any time by using the “email preferences” link at the bottom of the emails.
- Your data will be kept private and confidential (except for your username, which will be visible if you choose to make any contributions to the website, as above).
- We collect users' Internet Protocol (IP) addresses of all website users, which are automatically logged by our web server. IP addresses are numbers that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet. We may gather information about the operating system, browser version, and the type of device you are using. This data is simply a log of what files were accessed from where and when, and cannot be used for any other purposes.
- We use Google Analytics to help us understand and improve the user’s experience on nigella.com. Google Analytics collects information on your IP address but it is only used to track your visitor behaviour on nigella.com, and your broad location (by country). Your IP address as collected by Google Analytics cannot be used by nigella.com to identify you.
- We currently contract with online partners to help manage and optimise our internet business and communications. We use the services of advertising companies to help us measure the effectiveness of our advertising and how visitors use the site. To do this, we may use web beacons and cookies provided by our advertising company on the site. The type of information we collect includes content viewed, pages, site sections and videos. By supplementing our records, this information helps us learn things like what pages are most attractive to our visitors, which of our products most interest our users, and what kinds of offers our users like to see. Although our advertising companies log the information coming from the site on our behalf, we control how that data may and may not be used and the advertising companies do not have access to your personal data such that you can be personally identified. We (or a third party service partner such as Awin Limited) may also drop pixels on devices to identify which users navigate directly to Ocado.com from nigella.com when users click on recipes or other content.
- The lawful basis we rely upon to process your personal data may differ for each processing activity depending on the processing purpose. We rely on legitimate interests in order to i) monitor the operation of nigella.com, ii) processing for competitions, promotions and other marketing purposes, and iii) track user activity on nigella.com and third party platforms including ocado.com to identify users that navigate to Ocado.com. This is for the purpose of tracking commission and to identify whether users are new or existing Ocado customers when logging into Ocado.com. We may also drop pixels on devices to identify which users navigate directly to Ocado.com (or their third party service partner) from nigella.com when users click on recipes or other content.
- If you are 17 or under, please get your parent or guardian's consent before registering on the site.
- We will hold your data and contributions for as long as is necessary and reasonably required for the relevant service or purpose.
- We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal details. However, we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose on-line. We will not be responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or wilful default.
- You have the right to see personal data we keep about you. If you would like to see the data we hold about you or are concerned that any of the information we hold on you is incorrect and would like to amend or delete it please contact us at email@example.com. For your protection, we can only disclose information to your email address registered on nigella.com. If you would like to have your data deleted, it will mean any contributions made to nigella.com will revert to “community” content, and you will no longer receive any emails from us. We will respond to your data request within 30 days.
- Our legal grounds for processing the personal information:
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 (incorporating General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing your personal information are:
(a) Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time. You can do this by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
(b) Where we have a contractual obligation.
(c) Where we have a legal obligation.
(d) Where we have a legitimate interest.
- How we store your personal information:
All data, including personal and non-personal information, is stored on servers located in the UK with hosting partner Linode. Your personal information will be routed through, and stored on, these servers when you sign up to the website. If the location of our servers changes in the future, we will update this statement. Once stored this data is only accessed for authentication and identification purposes via a secure API (Application Programming Interface). We will store your personal information securely until you tell us you that would like your account deleted. Where you request for your account to be deleted, we will dispose of your personal data from all of our systems within thirty (30) days.
- Your data protection rights:
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to make a request.
- How to complain:
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The ICO is nigella.com’s Data Protection Supervisory Authority. You can find out more about the ICO, the Data Protection Act, and GDPR here. You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk
- By registering on nigella.com and using the website generally, you agree to the use described above.
Last updated January 2023. Copyright © Nigella Lawson.