This recipe comes to me from a collection entitled "Pure Flavor: 125 Fresh All-American Recipes from the Pacific Northwest" by Kurt Beecher Dammeier. Kurt owns Beecher's Handmade Cheese, which happens to be located inside of my favorite places on the planet: The Pike Place Market in Seattle. The original version calls for a breadcrumb topping; I've omitted to keep this gluten-free.
- 188 millilitres short grain brown rice
- 2 bunches dinosaur kale (about 10 leaves per bunch)
- 2½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 125 millilitres chicken broth
- 250 millilitres milk
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 438 millilitres cheddar cheese (semi-soft if available)
Kale and Brown Rice Gratin is a community recipe submitted by Amy_Briggs and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.