This is a kind of Frankenstein-style mash up of two recipes with various tweaks and the rich, gooey, creamy result worked really well as an alternative to a typical birthday cake.
The bonus is that you effectively get two desserts in one while being super simple to make, especially if you don’t have the time to faff around with icing. Just a warning though – it’s much denser than a sponge so you’ll only need a small slice!
For the Brownie base
- 65 grams plain flour
- 175 grams butter
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 55 grams brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 terry's chocolate orange or equivalent weight (157g) of other orange chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cheesecake topping
- 150 grams cream cheese
- 60 grams caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- ½ terry's chocolate orange
- sprinkles (optional)
Chocolate Orange Cheesecake Brownie is a community recipe submitted by cloud9point1 and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180℃ (or 160℃ fan) and line a round baking tin with parchment paper.
- Place one Chocolate Orange (broken into segments), sugars, vanilla and butter in a heatproof bowl and melt on the hob over a low heat or in the microwave in 30-second bursts until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly then whisk in the eggs.
- Fold in the flour and pour into the prepared cake tin.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and orange juice together until smooth.
- Use a tablespoon to randomly dollop the cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie mixture, then use a skewer to make marble-effect swirls.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 25-30 minutes, or until a crust forms on the edges of the brownie – remember, the inside should still be quite soft so don’t overbake!
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before removing from the tin and arranging the remaining Chocolate Orange segments on top of the cake. Scatter over some orange sprinkles as a finishing touch if you like.
The cake will keep for a few days in an airtight container but make sure you store it in the fridge.