This is very typical of the thrifty puds made of stale bread and store cupboard items.I have adapted the balance of ingredients from a number of recipes to suit my tastes.
- 8 ounces stale bread
- ⅖ pint skimmed milk
- 2 ounces dark brown sugar
- 3 ounces coarsely grated vegetable shortening (freeze overnight to make it easier to grate) (low fat vegetarian)
- 8 ounces mixed dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 lemon (grated zest and juice)
- 1 orange (juice)
- 1 beaten egg
- superfine sugar
Please note that nigella.com is not able to accept responsibility for any substitutions that Ocado may need to make as a result of stock availability or otherwise. For any queries, head to ocado.com/customercare.
Feel free to use the “swap” feature and adjust brands and quantities as needed.
Bread Pudding is a community recipe submitted by Anonymous and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.