This is very typical of the thrifty puds made of stale bread and store cupboard items.I have adapted the balance of ingredients from a number of recipes to suit my tastes.
- 227 grams stale bread
- ⅕ litre skimmed milk
- 57 grams dark brown sugar
- 85 grams coarsely grated vegetable shortening (freeze overnight to make it easier to grate) (low fat vegetarian)
- 227 grams mixed dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 lemon (grated zest and juice)
- 1 orange (juice)
- 1 beaten egg
- superfine sugar
Bread Pudding is a community recipe submitted by Anonymous and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.