I met Priya on a ship and she introduced my to the wonderful flavours of Sri Lanka. This is adapted from her recipe in Leith's Indian and Sri Lankan Cookery.
- shrimp (cooked or raw, shelled and deveined - enough for 2 people)
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (not ground fenugreek)
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 5 fresh curry leaves or the equivalent dried and crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 3 cloves grated garlic
- 2 ounces crumbled creamed coconut
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5¼ fluid ounces water
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ lemon (unwaxed, juice of)
Priya's Sri Lankan Prawn Curry is a community recipe submitted by Anonymous and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Serve with Tilda jasmine rice, raita, mango chutney, poppadums, fresh grated coconut, etc.I grate my coconut on my beloved Microplane coarse grater then it will freeze nicely until needed. This sauce can also be used for chicken by adding 2 poached chicken breasts cut into bite size opieces and simmered slowly in the sauce for 10 mins.