My oldest and best family heirloom recipe
- 6 eggs (never less than 12 oz)
- 397 sugar (the same weight as the eggs)
- 198 cake flour (or all purpose flour - half the weight of the eggs)
- 1 pinch of salt
Nanny's Sponge Cake is a community recipe submitted by Community and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Separate eggs, beat yolks and sugar well, then leave standing until bubbles appear, while whisking the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into the sugar and yolk mixture, then fold in the flour and pinch of salt.
- Pour into a well greased tube tin (we always used a deep Gugelhopf type tin) and bake in the centre of a 180 degree oven for about 1 hour.
This recipe does NOT work in a fan oven, it will fail if there is any draft! I do know it has been made very successfully in a gas oven. It is VERY popular with men who don't like very sweet cakes. I have always used this recipe to "test" a new oven, if it works then I know the oven is good for temperature!