I love the fact that, even though we live in different continents, every Easter my mother and I make the same hot cross buns.
- 1000 all-purpose flour (please try and use a breadmaking or bakers flour, you will get a much superior result)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 dried yeast (1.5 sachets)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 63 sugar
- 60 butter
- 375 warm milk
- 125 golden raisins (and/or raisins)
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mixed peel
My Mum's Hot Cross Buns is a community recipe submitted by Ericthekat and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
This makes quite a large quantity (16) but recipe can be halved. Best eaten warm, or toasted, with lemon curd (in my opinion)!