A quick dish great for dinner parties.
- 170 grams semolina
- 70 grams butter
- 70 grams grated Parmesan
- 1 egg yolk
- 680 millilitres full fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Parmesan cheese to top
- melted butter to top
Gnocchi alla Romana - Semolina gnocchi is a community recipe submitted by SofiaGallo and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- On the stove, heat the milk and the butter together. Once the butter is completely melted, season and bring to a simmer.
- Start pouring the semolina from a height to avoid lumps and whisking continuously.
- Take the pot off the stove and add the cheese and egg yolk mixing with a wooden spoon. Once all combined roll in parchment paper and let it cool down in the fridge for 15 minutes or longer if at room temperature.
- When cool enough, cut at desired thickness and place in a buttered oven dish. Sprinkle more Parmesan on top, the melted butter and cook at 180c or gas mark 4 for about 15 minutes and under the grill for an additional 10 minutes or golden brown. My variation presented here is with mozzarella and ham, but you can use a simple tomato sauce or plain.