Its very nice curry. Served with fried bread called puri in North India. I have learned this dish from my Mom.
- 3 cups garbanzo beans
- 1 cup red onions (made into a paste)
- 2 cups onions (made into a paste)
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chile
- 3 teaspoons oil
Chole (Chickpea Punjabi Masala) is a community recipe submitted by guptamona and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Take a skillet, add oil. Put over low heat. Saute onion paste till light pink color. Add 2 tsp water and red chile powder, turmeric powder, salt, cumin seeds and saute for 1 min. Add tomato paste and saute till oil gets separated. Add 1 cup water and simmer for 5 mins.
- When masala or paste becomes thick and smooth and well mixed add boiled garbanzo beans and 2 cup water. Mix well and add garam masala. Simmer for 5 mins at low heat.
- At last add dry pomegranate seeds n pulp paste. Simmer well for 5 mins till the thickness you want in your curry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- For pomegranate seeds n Pulp paste - In one cup water add half cup dry pomegranate seeds n pulp called anardana here. Soak for one hour.Then drain water and put seeds in grinder with 4 tsp water to make a smooth paste.
- Serve with naan, bread or Puri.
Puri Chole - Nice take away curry in most North Indian Food joints.