This old-fashioned chocolate cake i made for my mother inlaw. i use Callebaut semisweet chocolate for the cake and Guittard French-vanilla chocolate for the frosting, but any fine-quality semisweet chocolate will produce a wonderful result in either.
For the Cake Layers
- 85 grams semi-sweet chocolate
- 375 millilitres hot brewed coffee
- 750 millilitres sugar
- 625 millilitres all-purpose flour
- 375 millilitres unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 188 millilitres vegetable oil
- 375 millilitres well shaken buttermilk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
For the Ganache Frosting
- ½ kilogram semi-sweet chocolate
- 250 millilitres heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ stick unsalted butter
Double Chocolate Layer Cake is a community recipe submitted by helenasmith and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Make cake layers:
Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.