This is a healthy and hearty FAMILY favorite! Chicken and spinach are excellent together, and if you have kids who don't eat veggies...this is something they'd love - rich in iron, vitamins and proteins. Oh! and loaded with cheese.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
Please note that nigella.com is not able to accept responsibility for any substitutions that Ocado may need to make as a result of stock availability or otherwise. For any queries, head to ocado.com/customercare.
Feel free to use the “swap” feature and adjust brands and quantities as needed.
Creamy Chicken & Spinach Bake is a community recipe submitted by hirrap and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix well until foamy.
- Now slowly add in milk and stir continuously to avoid any lumps. Let it boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove the pot from heat and mix in cream, salt, black pepper and white pepper. Mix well.
- Add chicken (cooked and shredded) and spinach (cooked according to package instructions) to the mixture mix. Now add the chicken broth and mix well again. (check for the consistency before adding the entire cup of broth, the mixture shouldn't be too runny).
- Let the mixture boil for another 2 minutes. Turn off heat and taste to check seasoning.
- Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and top with breadcrumbs.
- Pop the dish in the oven for about 8-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and crumbs are golden brown. Serve Hot!