Place all the ingredients in a non-stick medium-sized heavy based saucepan. Stir everything together and place on medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook covered for about 20 minutes until the fruits are reduced to a thick dark-coloured pulp. Taste after about 10 minutes and add more sugar or salt, as necessary. Note: I have always used malt vinegar for this chutney but I think you can substitute cider vinegar if you prefer.
A simple recipe for a great chutney with Indian flavours.
- ½ kilogram fresh apricots (quartered, pitted, with skin)
- ½ kilogram plums (quartered, pitted, with skin)
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 125 millilitres malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- salt to taste
Apricot and Plum Chutney is a community recipe submitted by hobbycook and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.