Based on Nigella's Easy Action Xmas cake, but adapted for my clients with food sensitivities, and chestnut puree not found in NZ. Probably changed so much she won't recognize it, but it has been a wonderful base and is so forgiving of any changes - everybody loves it!
- 125 millilitres water
- 63 millilitres brandy (or rum or extra water)
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 170 grams butter (or coconut oil)
- 250 millilitres shakkar
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 kilogram mixed dried fruit
- 250 millilitres almond meal
- 125 millilitres white rice flour
- 125 millilitres arrowroot (gluten free version)
- 2 teaspoons pectin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 small eggs
Allergy Free Christmas Cake is a community recipe submitted by KiwiDeb and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
This can be made without the sugar or brandy and is still delicious. It can be made with the pectin or gum and will just be a bit more crumbly.