Based on Nigella's Easy Action Xmas cake, but adapted for my clients with food sensitivities, and chestnut puree not found in NZ. Probably changed so much she won't recognize it, but it has been a wonderful base and is so forgiving of any changes - everybody loves it!
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup brandy (or rum or extra water)
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 ounces butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 cup shakkar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2⅕ pounds mixed dried fruit
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup arrowroot (gluten free version)
- 2 teaspoons pectin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 small eggs
Allergy Free Christmas Cake is a community recipe submitted by KiwiDeb and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
This can be made without the sugar or brandy and is still delicious. It can be made with the pectin or gum and will just be a bit more crumbly.