Daughter's recipe of the day: Let them eat cake!
- olive oil spray
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- ½ cup olive oil
- confectioners' sugar
- whipped cream (lightly sweetened)
Orange and Walnut Cake is a community recipe submitted by Krakra58 and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F (125oC) Spray a 9inch-diameter springform pan with nonstick olive oil spray, place a piece of round parchment paper on bottom of pan and spray the paper.
- Grind the walnuts, not too finely, combine with flour and baking powder in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Beat the eggs until frothy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sugar, beating until light, thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Gradually add the walnut/flour mixture, then the orange juice and peel, olive oil, beating until just blended.
- Transfer the batter to prepared pan. Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool completely in pan on rack. Release pan sides.
- Carefully invert cake unto platter and remove the paper base. Sprinkle powdered sugar, a dollop of whipped cream and some grated zest and serve!