Preheat oven to broil. Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Lightly brush the eggplant slices on each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil the eggplant for 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375F. Mix the havarti and feta cheeses together in a bowl. Layer the ingredients in an 8-inch-square baking dish in the following order: half the eggplant slices, half the bell peppers, 1/3 cup of the pasta sauce, all the capers, a generous sprinkling of Herbes de Provence, and all the cheese mixture. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, bell peppers, and pasta sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
- 165 tomato-based pasta sauce (prepared)
- ½ tablespoon capers (drained)
- herbs de provence (to taste - can substitute with Italian seasoning)
- 28 grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium eggplant (globe, or use a large one - peeled and sliced into 1/3 inch slices)
- olive oil (for brushing)
- sea salt (to taste)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 85 grated havarti cheese
- 43 crumbled feta cheese
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (peeled and cut into 1/2 inch strips)
Tuscan Melanzane is a community recipe submitted by Lea and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.