This is one of my all-time favourite side dishes. In fact, I love it so much that I will happily eat a big bowlful of it on its own, with just some crusty bread and butter, or tossed through pasta. It works equally well hot or cold, so is a perfect recipe for those lazy summer lunches with friends and family, or for picnics. I think it is best somewhere between room temperature and hot out of the pan, so it's perfect for making ahead. I love it with lamb, chicken, fish, halloumi, or as a relish on burgers.. the list is endless!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (good quality)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 pinch of saffron strands
- 1 pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1 red pepper (de-seeded and sliced into strips)
- 1 yellow pepper (de-seeded and sliced into strips)
- 6 plum tomatoes (ripe, or vine tomatoes - roughly chopped)
- 1 pinch of sugar
Pepperonata is a community recipe submitted by Mandy_C and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
I sometimes add a slosh of balsamic vinegar after the garlic and spices, before adding the pepper - it adds another layer of flavour that is quite interesting.