It's our culture to share recipes - especially if someone has licked their bowl clean! This soup is so filling and warm, it's perfect for winter!
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (if fresh half cup)
- ½ cup basmati rice (soaked for hour)
- 1 large roughly chopped turnip (but n0t peeled)
- 3 sticks chopped celery
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 chicken broth cube (or vegetable stock)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch of salt (to taste)
Iragi Turnip Soup is a community recipe submitted by MariamL and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Heat the oil in large pan on medium heat.
- Chop the onion finely and add it to the pan.
- Fry the onion until it is soft and light brown.
- Add the Curcumin, coriander and dill and stir for 30 seconds.
- Then add the turnip, rice, spinach and celery all together.
- Add 2 pints (1 pint with stock, 1 pint just water) of boiled water with the vegetable/chicken stock to the pan and bring it to the boil on a high heat for 15 minutes
- Lower to medium heat for 1/2 an hour. The rice should have a mushy consistency and the soup should not be too thick or too watery (if to too thick, add more boiled water).
- Add the lemon and the salt (to your taste) and leave on a very low heat for 15 mins.