It's our culture to share recipes- especially if someone has licked their bowl clean! This soup is so filling and warm, it's perfect for winter!
- 1 large onion
- 125 millilitres chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (if fresh half cup)
- 125 millilitres basmati rice (soaked for hour)
- 1 large roughly chopped turnip (but n0t peeled)
- 3 sticks chopped celery
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 chicken broth cube (or vegetable stock)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch of salt (to taste)
Iragi Turnip Soup is a community recipe submitted by MariamL and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Heat the oil in large pan on medium heat.
Chop the onion finely and add it to the pan.
Fry the onion until it is soft and light brown.
Add the Curcumin, coriander and dill and stir for 30 seconds.
Then add the turnip, rice, spinach and celery all together.
Add 2 pints (1 pint with stock, 1 pint just water) of boiled water with the vegetable/chicken stock to the pan and bring it to the boil on a high heat for 15 minutes
Lower to medium heat for 1/2 an hour. The rice should have a mushy consistency and the soup should not be too thick or too watery (if to too thick, add more boiled water).
Add the lemon and the salt (to your taste) and leave on a very low heat for 15 mins.