This is my favourite shortbread recipe, and it comes from my grandmother.
- ¾ cup butter (and up to 6 tablespoons more)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Nana's Traditional Shortbread is a community recipe submitted by Mishka and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Start with 3/4 cups butter, and mix with sugar until well combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in the flour, adding more butter if needed to get dough to come together smoothly. (I don't usually need to add more butter, but it does depend somewhat on your climate). Handle dough as little as possible.
- Roll out to 1/2 " thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20min. Remove from baking sheet immediately and cool on rack.
- Will keep in airtight container for 2 weeks or more.