This was Inspired by Henderson's Vegetarian Restaurant in Edinburgh. (I used to eat there a lot about 10 years ago when I lived closer to the city).
For the Moussaka
- olive oil
- 1 tin kidney beans (drained and rinsed in cold water)
- 1 large sliced eggplant
- 1 large sliced onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 large sliced carrot
- 1 sliced zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 green bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 tin diced tomatoes (in rich juice)
- 2 sliced potatoes (parboiled)
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 vegetable broth cubes (or bouillon powder, dissolved in about 1/4 pint water - or enough to just cover your veg in the pan)
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- black pepper
For the Cheese Sauce Topping (Either Buy a Ready Made Cheese Sauce or Make a Roux Cheese Sauce From Scratch)
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces butter
- ⅘ pint milk
- 6 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- black pepper
Vegetarian Moussaka is a community recipe submitted by orchid and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Firstly deal with the eggplant - wash and slice and spread the slices out on a tray and sprinkle with salt and leave for the bitter juices to weep for about 20 mins.
- In the meantime deal with the Moussaka sauce, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the onion for a few minutes, then add the garlic and the other vegetable except the potato and eggplant Cook for another minute and then add everything else except the potato and eggplant. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat to a simmer and simmer for about 20-30 mins.
- While this is simmering go back to the eggplant. Rinse in a colander the eggplant slices to get rid of the weeping bitter juices. Pat dry on a clean tea towel or kitchen roll. Using a large frying pan, heat about 6 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium high heat (not too high!), fry the eggplant slices until they are golden on each side - place on kitchen roll to drain off the oil.
- Now take a lasagne type dish and arrange the Moussaka by layering the vegetable sauce, potato and eggplant. Top with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with a little extra grated cheese and black pepper.
- Place in a preheated oven 180 degrees for about 40 mins, it is ready when everything is bubbling away and the top is golden.