This crowd-pleaser features two layers of creamy chocolate and a chewy oatmeal cookielike layer. Walnut halves (or your favorite holiday candy) make a tasty topper.
For the Bottom Layer
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (quick-cooking)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup melted butter
For the Middle Layer
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 ounce melted unsweetened chocolate (cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For the Top Layer
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- walnut (halves)
Tri-Level Brownies is a community recipe submitted by redheadev and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- For bottom layer, stir together oats, the 1/2 cup flour, the brown sugar, and baking soda. Stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter. Pat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 11x7x1-1/2-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for middle layer, stir together egg, granulated sugar, the 2/3 cup flour, the milk, the 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 ounce melted chocolate, the 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the baking powder until smooth. Fold in chopped walnuts. Spread batter over baked layer in pan. Bake about 25 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Set on a wire rack while preparing top layer.
- For top layer, in a medium saucepan heat and stir 1 ounce chocolate and the 2 tablespoons butter until melted. Stir in the powdered sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in enough hot water (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a mixture that is almost pourable. Spread over brownies. If desired, garnish with walnut halves.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.