Vi posted this recipe on 'The Pantry' It was her Mum's recipe. They are so delicious they have become a weekly event for me. Highly recommended.
- 4 ounces self-raising flour
- 4 ounces quick-cooking oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or light corn syrup
Vi's Oat Cookies is a community recipe submitted by Rhyleysgranny and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 c Grease a large baking tray with butter or margarine.
- Mix flour, oats, and baking soda together in a bowl put to one side.
- Put margarine or butter, sugar and golden syrup or light corn syrup in a saucepan and heat on a low heat until butter and sugar are melted, stir occasionally, take off heat and stir in the oat mix, beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Scoop dessert spoons of mixture up and make into ball shapes and place on a greased baking tray when the tray is full slightly flatten the balls out with the back of the dessert spoon.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, when ready remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 mins before moving onto a wire rack.
- Repeat and do the same until all the mixture has been used up. Serve with a cup of tea any remaining biscuits can be kept in an airtight tin for about a week (if they last that long).
I use soft brown sugar as I like the caramely taste. I always do double quantities too and add about 100gms dried cranberries. Lovely