For the Dough
- 250 grams flour (white)
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200 millilitres sunflower oil
- 200 millilitres milk
- 200 millilitres rum
For the Cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 40 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 100 millilitres cream
- 50 grams ground almonds (or walnuts or hazelnuts)
Please note that nigella.com is not able to accept responsibility for any substitutions that Ocado may need to make as a result of stock availability or otherwise. For any queries, head to ocado.com/customercare.
Feel free to use the “swap” feature and adjust brands and quantities as needed.
Russian Cakes is a community recipe submitted by sugarbaby and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
For the dough
- Put 4 egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl and stir it for about 4 minutes with a mixer.
- Add the oil, milk and rum and stir.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and put it on top of the dough mixture.
- Stir egg whites until they are firm, then put them on top of the flour. Stir gently.
- Pour the dough in a baking tin about 3 cm high. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- In the meantime mix the egg yolks and sugar for the cream and mix them with a mixer for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the rum and keep mixing. Finally add whipped cream and almonds. Let it cool in a fridge for about an hour.
- Then cut the sponge cake into three layers and top all the layers with cream. Let it cool for about an hour, then cut the cake into small squares and decorate them with nuts or chocolate chips.
It is best if you serve the cake at room temperature but otherwise they should be kept in the fridge. I usually make the a day or two in advance because then the flavours can mix together well.