youtube pinterest twitter facebook instagram vimeo whatsapp Bookmark Entries BURGER NEW Chevron Down Chevron Left Chevron Right Basket Speech Comment Search Video Play Icon Premium Nigella Lawson Vegan Vegetarian Member Speech Recipe Email Bookmark Comment Camera Scales Quantity List Reorder Remove Open book
Menu Signed In
More answers

Potato Ricer

Asked by puddyj. Answered on 16th March 2013

Full question

Hi Team Nigella, I just wondered which potato ricer Nigella uses?

Our answer

A potato ricer is a piece of kitchen equipment that looks a bit like a large garlic press but you push boiled potatoes through it to get perfect, lump-free mashed potatoes. You also don't necessarily need to peel the potatoes before boiling them, as the skins will be left behind in the ricer whilst the cooked potato part is pushed through.

The ricer used by Nigella came from the US, but the closest equivalent we have been able to find in the UK is the Kitchen Craft Masterclass Stainless Steel Potato Ricer. It is available from several sources on-line, including Amazon. There are also other models of potato ricer available, but make sure that it feels robust.

Another alternative is to use a mouli food mill (nit a grater) which will give a similar texture to the potatoes if you put them through the mouli. A mouli also has other uses, such as pureeing cooked fruits and vegetables.

Sardine Spaghetti

Tell us what you think