Apologies to European cooks for the US measurements, this recipe was given to my mother whilst she was nursing at Mount Vernon by an American colleague. It's an amazing recipe. I think it's the wheat germ that makes the difference; try it - you won't be disappointed!
For the Cake
- 4 lightly beaten eggs
- 500 millilitres brown sugar
- 250 millilitres vegetable oil
- 500 millilitres whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 750 millilitres finely grated carrots
- 125 millilitres wheat germ
- 250 millilitres chopped nuts
- 125 millilitres golden raisins
- 125 millilitres desiccated coconut
For the Frosting
- 85 grams unsalted butter
- 130 grams cream cheese
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 500 millilitres confectioners' sugar
- ⅘ teaspoon salt
Carrot Cake With Wheatgerm is a community recipe submitted by Beluga_On_Toast and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
A stand-mixer is useful, perhaps essential, for this recipe unless you (or your hand-mixer) are very strong.