The best ever brownie base of this recipe stems from the Feb 09 Chatelaine magazine where they apparently tested dozens of brownie recipes to conclude that this was the best to which I would agree. I then had to try to make it even better and what could be better than a touch of cheesecake???? The recipe called for 6 squares of semi sweet chocolate however everyone knows that dark chocolate is good for you..so along with the additional dairy benefits of the cream cheese you could consider these brownies practically healthy. Plus the not too sweet dark chocolate has the added benefit to make the brownies enjoyable accompanied with a glass of (also healthy) red wine ;-) Perhaps adding a sprinkle of flax seed and dried cranberries could also qualify them as a meal substitute???? However I have not yet gone that far.
For the Brownie Base
- 250 millilitres walnut pieces (toasted, chopped fine)
- 250 millilitres flour
- 63 millilitres unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 170 grams bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao)
- 125 millilitres unsalted butter (soft and cut into pieces)
- 3 eggs
- 250 millilitres superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Layer
- 227 grams cream cheese (room temperature)
- 83 millilitres superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
Best Ever Cream Cheese Brownies is a community recipe submitted by CathP and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Brownies prepared without the cream cheese layer will cook in about 35 min. Do Not Overbake.