- 2 cups green split peas (or yellow)
- 1 large diced onion
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 18 ounces ham hocks (or bacon bones)
- 5¼ pints cold water
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- freshly ground pepper
Please note that nigella.com is not able to accept responsibility for any substitutions that Ocado may need to make as a result of stock availability or otherwise. For any queries, head to ocado.com/customercare.
Feel free to use the “swap” feature and adjust brands and quantities as needed.
Cook's Companion Pea and Ham Soup is a community recipe submitted by Coby and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Put all ingredients into a large pot and bring slowly to the simmer. Set lid ajar and simmer for about 1 and a half hours, or until peas are tender.
- Remove hock or bones. Discard bones, reserve hock.
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender *, and adjust seasoning. If the soup is too thick, add water.
- Discard skin of hock *** then dice meat and return to soup. Reheat and serve with sippets ** if desired.
It can be quite nice to reserve some of the peas to add a textural contrast, rather than processing the lot.
** Sippets are small cubes of bread fried crisp in olive oil - lol croutons by another name I guess :)
*** Not to everyone's taste, but we will often cut some of the skin very finely and also add this to the soup - your call.