This is a lovely simple but luxurious not-quite-tray bake.
- 4 ounces self-raising flour
- 2 ounces dark cocoa powder
- 4 ounces butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 8 ounces soft brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- ⅕ pint skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces hazelnuts (halved and lightly toasted)
- 4 ounces dried sour cherries (quartered, or sharp dried apricots or dried raspberries)
- grated bittersweet chocolate
Chocolate Fruit and Nut Squares is a community recipe submitted by Anonymous and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
You will need a greased and lined 8 inch square tin.
This is based on a recipe from Jane Pettigrewâ€™s wonderful paperback, Teatime. I upgraded the ingredients, changed the fruit and nut component and added a topping.