Preheat oven to 325F. (170 Celsius or Gas Mark 3) Line muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray with canola oil. Sift flour, unsweetened cocoa, salt, sugar and baking soda together. Add canola oil, water, vinegar and vanilla and combine with mixer.
Cream the sugar, cream cheese, salt and egg together. After smooth, add the chocolate chips, set aside. Fill the muffin tins two thirds full of batter. Top each with a heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture. Bake for about 20 minutes. Test as you would for a cake. This recipe makes about twice as much filling as you will need so consider making 2 batches and inviting your friends over for coffee or tea and cupcakes.
Simple and comforting.
For the Cupcakes
- 375 millilitres unbleached all-purpose flour
- 63 millilitres unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 250 millilitres white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 83 millilitres canola oil
- 250 millilitres water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 227 grams cream cheese
- 83 millilitres granulated sugar (white)
- 170 grams chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- 1 egg (unbeaten)
- ⅕ teaspoon sea salt
San Francisco Black Bottom Cupcakes is a community recipe submitted by CrystalDawn and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
For the filling: