This cake can do no wrong in my family - it can be altered and is very forgiving of any mistakes -tastes amazing and is unbelievably moist and dark.
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 ounces soft brown sugar
- 6 ounces black molasses
- 2 ounces golden syrup or light corn syrup
- 2 beaten eggs
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces pitted prunes (drained and finely chopped)
- 3 teaspoons drinking chocolate
- milk (if needed)
Ginger Cake Surprise is a community recipe submitted by dreamsurfer69 and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
This is a crafty way of adding prunes to a diet. My family don't like prunes but they can't get enough of this cake. I'm temped to pour butterscotch sauce over when it is hot - haven't tried it yet.