Sausage rolls are always on the menu for birthday parties in the garden - though sometimes I just cook these so I can have something a little more interesting than a sandwich for lunch. They are a great kiddies tea time meal. Just love 'em!
- 200 ground chicken (or just mince a chicken breast)
- 500 ground sausage
- 1 large carrot (or two smallish)
- 188 fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon dried italian herbs (or herb seasoning of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (or other sauce of your choice - BBQ etc, I use a mixture of tomato and chilli)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 packet puff pastry sheets
- 1 beaten egg
My Mum's Sausage Rolls is a community recipe submitted by Ericthekat and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
My mother's notes: 'I like a bit of chicken mince in the mix as it lightens it up and absorbs some of the fat from the sausage mince. However if you used all sausage mince it would be fine but perhaps use a bit more breadcrumbs.' My notes: I use the packs of sausage meat you can buy in supermarkets, though have also used equal weight of sausages, and just squeezed the meat out of the skins. I use more breadcrumbs if the sausage meat looks quite fatty. These keep really well in a sealed container in the fridge. Just warm through in a low oven.