Heat some oil in a large pan and add the cinnamon, bay leaves and onion. Cook until the onions are lightly coloured and softened. Add the grated ginger and garlic along with the turmeric and chili powder. Make sure that the heat is low and keep stirring. Tumble in the tomatoes, stir for a minute or two and add the chicken. Stir to ensure the chicken is well coated. Add the coconut milk and tamarind. Season to taste and let it simmer until it reaches a consistency that isn't very liquidy. Serve with basmati rice.
- 18 ounces chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 cinnamon stick (broken in half)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 3 grated cloves
- grated fresh gingerroot
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- gram tamarind (you need to dissolve it with some warm water)
- 1½ cups coconut milk (you can reduce the amount to suit your taste)
Tamarind Chicken is a community recipe submitted by etoile and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.