Friands are delicious little almond cakes, perfect for afternoon tea. They are a great way of using up leftover egg whites. You can use different sorts of meal instead of almond - e.g. hazelnut or pistachio, but I like almond best. Also you can use different fruit or put choc chips or whatever in... If you don't have a friand tin or friand pans, you can use a normal muffin tin. You can also make mini friands in a mini muffin tin - take about 15 minutes to cook.
- 7 ounces melted butter
- 1 cup almond meal
- 6 egg whites (beaten lightly)
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar plus extra to serve
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces thinly sliced strawberries
Please note that nigella.com is not able to accept responsibility for any substitutions that Ocado may need to make as a result of stock availability or otherwise. For any queries, head to ocado.com/customercare.
Feel free to use the “swap” feature and adjust brands and quantities as needed.
Almond and Strawberry Friands is a community recipe submitted by gianduia and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 200-210°C.
- Grease 12 (1/3 cup / 80ml) rectangular or oval friand pans and stand on an oven tray.
- Combine butter, almond meal, egg whites, sugar and flour in a medium bowl; stir until just combined.
- Divide the mixture among the pans; top each with a strawberry slice. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Stand for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve dusted with confectioners' sugar.