The Andean nation of Ecuador in Northwestern South America has several inventive dishes for it's native Potato. I was born in Ecuador before my family emigrated to the USA when i was 5. My mother made "Locro" once a week at least...Rather than chicken stock she used water as she felt the flavors of the vegetables and supporting players (well, ingredients) really made the soup brilliant.
- 6 potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 1 savoy cabbage (cut into 2
- 1 large chopped onion
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 red bell pepper (or green - chopped)
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 can sweetcorn (drained)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- olive oil
- 83 millilitres cilantro (or chinese parsley)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 250 millilitres cream (or milk)
- 125 millilitres shredded monterey jack cheese
Locro or Equadorian Potato, Cabbage and Corn Soup is a community recipe submitted by gibralto and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Garnished with the shredded cheese. Mother served this as a main course for dinner, with salad. It's much better the next day. Enjoy.